[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Mailing List Archive: Search Broken?

Janis Voigtlaender voigt at tcs.inf.tu-dresden.de
Fri Feb 15 02:39:18 EST 2008

Calvin Smith wrote:
> On 02/14/2008 11:13 PM, Janis Voigtlaender wrote:
>
>>Don Stewart wrote:
>>
>>>voigt:
>>>
>>>I always use gmane, via:
>>>
>>>    http://news.gmane.org/search.php?match=haskell
>>
>>The problem with this is that when searching through gmane, and
>>selecting a single message with a hit, one gets only to see that message
>>without its context thread. At least I could not find out a way to
>>switch from the found message to the thread in which it occurred.
>>
>>The search facility on www.mail-archive.com is much nicer in that
>>respect, but as mentioned, as of yesterday seems to have forgotten about
>>all messages prior to November 2007, and from 2008.
>>
>>Too bad...
>>
>>Ciao,
>>Janis.
>>

> I removed haskell at haskell from the recipients.
>
> It is possible to get to the thread-view of a message from just the bare
> message page. For example, if I turn up
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/8046> in a google
> search, which takes me to the article without context, I then click on
> the linked subject of the message, which redirects me to
> <http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.cafe/8044/focus=8046>,
> which is the threaded view. It still doesn't seem to allow you to get to
> other threads before and after the given thread, but at least you can
> view the entire thread of the message you found.
>
> It's definitely not very intuitive.

And the funny thing is that I tried just that yesterday, to no avail.

Now I found that it does work for haskell.cafe, but not for
haskell.general, which I tried yesterday. Strange.

(The problem on mail-archive affects both lists haskell-cafe and haskell
proper.)

Thanks for the solution at least for haskell-cafe!

Ciao,
Janis.

--
Dr. Janis Voigtlaender