[Haskell-cafe] Re: existential types

Ryan Ingram ryani.spam at gmail.com
Wed Feb 13 15:43:14 EST 2008

The name "existential types" comes from the logical connective
"exists", which is the dual of "for all".

For example, given some property P of objects of type T, you can say
forall x : T.  P(x)  -- means that P holds for all things of type x
or
exists x : T. P(x) -- means that there is some x for which P holds.

For example, take P(x) to be "x is an integer".

Then:
forall x : Int, P(x) -- valid, all objects of type Int are integers
forall x : Float, P(x) -- not valid
exists x : Float, P(x) -- valid, for example, 1.0 :: Float is an integer

In Haskell, forall is only used for kinds, such as *, the type of
types, and * -> *, the kind of type constructor used for monads &
lists (among other things).

A couple of examples:

(+) :: forall a. Num a => a -> a -> a
means
forall a : *, Num a implies (+) has type (a -> a -> a)

return False :: forall a. Monad m => m Bool
means
forall m : * -> *, Monad m implies that (return False) has type (m Bool).

Similarily, you might want to say (note: this is not valid haskell)
[0 :: Int, 2 :: Double] :: [ t such that there exists a Num instance for t ],

However, you can express "exists" in terms of "forall":
exists x, P(x) is equivalent to (not (forall x, not P(x)))
that is, if it is not true for all x that P(x) does not hold, then
there must be some x for which it does hold.

The existential types extension to haskell uses this dual:
data Number = forall a. Num a => N a

means that the constructor N has type
N :: forall a. Num a => a -> Number

Consider this function:
isZero (N n) = (n == 0)

You have a Number and you are pattern matching on N, so what do you
know about the type of n?

Well, you know that N was called with an object of some type a, and
that Num a holds.
That is: exists a : *, Num a & type(n) == a

You can now express that list:
[ N (0 :: Int), N (2 :: Double) ] :: [ Number ]
and use it like any other list:
map isZero [ N (0 :: Int), N (2 :: Double) ] :: [Bool]

  -- ryan