[Haskell-cafe] Haskell wiki is searched by google.

Richard Kelsall r.kelsall at millstream.com
Wed Feb 13 10:15:30 EST 2008

Daniil Elovkov wrote:
> Richard Kelsall wrote:
>> Daniil Elovkov wrote:
>>> Hello
>>> I remember there was a problem with haskell wiki pages not being
>>> indexed and searched.
>>> Now it seems to work perfectly. Actually typing 'monomorphism
>>> restriction' in google I see the appropriate wiki page as the first
>>> result.
>>> I must have missed the moment when it was fixed. Just sharing my
>>> observations. Thanks.
>> Hello Daniil, I think I may have started that discussion here :
>> http://www.haskell.org/pipermail/haskell-cafe/2007-November/035127.html
>> but sadly a search for mdo in the Search box at the top of this page
>> http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Haskell
>> still gives no results. I suspect something needs adjusting in the
>> configuration of MediaWiki for the haskellwiki.
> Indeed.
> But searching with google
>    mdo site:haskell.org/haskellwiki
> does a pretty good job - 6 results :)
I have to admit I haven't yet discovered how all the documentation fits
together. I set the "Search haskell.org" link on left on the front page
to search Google like this

mdo site:haskell.org

for "mdo" which gives 577 results including the relevant page of the
GHC documentation at the top. But I'm not really sure it should search
everything on haskell.org. I can easily change this if anybody suggests
a better search criteria.

I looked all over the wiki for some way to warn users that the search
results might be incomplete. All the relevant bits - like the search
results messages - appeared to be locked against me changing them.
I'm happy to Google for things, but I don't think it's good to have
a misleading search box on the front page.