[Haskell-cafe] question about STM and IO

Stephan Friedrichs stephan.friedrichs at tu-bs.de
Tue Feb 12 13:41:45 EST 2008

Hello,

John Lato wrote:
> I was recently looking at the STM library, and I have a question about
> the function "unsafeIOToSTM".  Can anyone explain to me what is unsafe
> about it, and what sort of use would be considered "safe"?

it's unsafe to perform IO inside of a transaction as it can't be undone,
when rolling it back. I guess, unsafeIOToSTM has been designed in order
to allow us to inject debugging output into a transaction, but you
really shouldn't use it to perform "real" IO (like writing files, etc.).

HTH - Stephan

--

Früher hieß es ja: Ich denke, also bin ich.
Heute weiß man: Es geht auch so.

  - Dieter Nuhr