[Haskell-cafe] Re: A question about "monad laws"

apfelmus apfelmus at quantentunnel.de
Tue Feb 12 09:56:53 EST 2008

Yitzchak Gale wrote:
> Ben Franksen wrote:
>> ...and the Unimo paper[1] explains how to easily write a 'correct' ListT.
>
> Are you sure? Maybe I am missing something, but I don't
> see any claim that the Unimo ListT satisfies the laws any
> more than the old mtl ListT.

> ListT-Done-Right could also be defined via the Unimo
> framework, and then it would satisfy the monad laws.

The list monad transformer implemented with Unimo (figure 13) is
different from  ListT m a = m [a]  (figure 11 for reference).

Note that I say "the list monad transformer".

I don't understand what's so special about "ListT m does not fulfill the
monad laws", it just shows that naïvely using  m [a]  to implement the
list monad transformer is incorrect for general  m . In other words,
there is a big bug in  Control.Monad.List  and that's all there is to it.

Regards,
apfelmus