[Haskell-cafe] GHC + interactive input/output

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Fri Feb 8 20:45:57 EST 2008

On 8 Feb 2008, at 5:29 PM, Philip Weaver wrote:

> GHC certain *could* do this, but it's arguably not the right thing
> to do.  For performance, the operating system buffers writes until
> it is ready to write large chunks at a time.  If you do not want
> this behavior, change the buffering mode from its default.

To what?

BlockBuffering is worse, not better, and the docs *explicitly* say
that switching to NoBuffering will break ^D (if it wasn't broken
already...)  My specification for a working program is `one that
works exactly like every other program on my machine'.  I don't see
how to produce such a program with GHC.(1)

jcc

(1) Using readline might work (although I'm kind of sceptical given
what's preceded it), but I haven't gotten it to link thus far...