[Haskell-cafe] Signature for non-empty filter

Dan Licata drl at cs.cmu.edu
Wed Feb 6 20:04:03 EST 2008

Let's be careful here: decidability is only relevant if you want to
*automatically* prove calls to filter correct.  It is certainly possible
to give a type system/specification logic for reasoning about all
functions written in a Turing-complete language (e.g., all Haskell
functions).  In such a type system/logic, you will be able to prove that
particular functions have particular results (e.g., "that function f
over there maps 4 to true").  If you give filter the type/specification
that Henning wants, you may not be able to get a computer to
automatically validate all "correct" calls to filter, where "correct"
means that I can prove, in the specification logic, that the predicate
is satisfiable.  However, you can get a computer to validate some calls
to filter, and a human may be able to validate others by hand.

I.e., it's not necessary to restrict the class of functions you consider
if you're willing to give up on full automation.  So I disagree with the
"only if" below.

-Dan