[Haskell-cafe] parsec3 pre-release [attempt 2]

Bas van Dijk v.dijk.bas at gmail.com
Wed Feb 6 19:44:42 EST 2008

Probably a weird idea but could this be useful?

class (Monad m) => Stream s m t | s -> t where
    uncons :: s -> m (m (t,s))

for example:

instance (Monad m) => Stream [t] m t where
    uncons []     = return $ fail "uncons []"
    uncons (t:ts) = return $ return (t,ts)

One small advantage is that Streams can have custom error messages
when there's no input.

Also, using 'uncons' could be as simple as: 'join . uncons'.

Bas