[Haskell-cafe] Mutable arrays

Andrew Butterfield Andrew.Butterfield at cs.tcd.ie
Wed Feb 6 16:06:14 EST 2008

Peter Verswyvelen wrote:

> So you say uniqueness typing might be more general… Can one make list
> monads and all the other funky Haskell monads with Clean’s uniqueness
> typing then?

As my long post pointed out - as far IO is concerned, Clean is more
general than Haskell (less over-sequencing).

However in a general setting, monads are very general, much more so
than Clean's I/O uniqueness types. Monads capture a fundamental pattern
of sequential side-effecting computation in a pure referentially
transparent way - IO is just a specific instance of this.

Having said that, it's worth noting that list and maybe monads can
be introduced in Clean, but these would have nothing to do with the
I/O infrastructure in that language.

Andrew Butterfield     Tel: +353-1-896-2517     Fax: +353-1-677-2204
Foundations and Methods Research Group Director.
Department of Computer Science, Room F.13, O'Reilly Institute,
Trinity College, University of Dublin, Ireland.
                             http://www.cs.tcd.ie/Andrew.Butterfield/