[Haskell-cafe] Re: weird ghci behavior with gadts and existentials

ChrisK haskell at list.mightyreason.com
Wed Feb 6 07:24:13 EST 2008

Let me add:

 > data ExpGADT t where
 >     ExpInt :: Int -> ExpGADT Int
 >     ExpChar :: Char -> ExpGADT Char

Which type do you think 'unHide' and 'wierd' should have:

 > unHide h = case h of
 >              Hidden (_,e) -> e
 >
 > wierd = unHide  (Hidden (TyInt,ExpInt 3))

either:

> unHide :: HiddenTypeExp -> ExpGADT t    -- Choice 1: Polymorphic t

> unHide :: HiddenTypeExp -> ExpGADT Int  -- Choice 2: Monomorphic Int

Note that TypeGADT/TyInt are irrelevant to unHide and wierd.

Clearly the first choice to unHide violates the encapsulation of 't'.
Clearly I cannot choose the 2nd choice, since it might be an ExpChar.
So unHide is impossible to write.