[Haskell-cafe] Haskell maximum stack depth

Bulat Ziganshin bulat.ziganshin at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 16:17:00 EST 2008

Hello Adrian,

>> i would be also happy if ghc will return unused *heap* memory back to
>> OS - it's immediately required for my GUI program where users may open
>> huge files and then close them. but i personally don't have the same
>> need for *stack*

> How do you know you don't or won't have the same need for stack?

i run my program with rather large datasets - it's happy with current
8m stack. i had problems with filterM function, though, and replaced
it with my own, tail-recursive but probably less efficient
implementation

i know that real problems for my programs will be solved by adding
"heap releasing" or, say, x64 support. are you have real problems with
stack management? if not, isn't it better to allow ghc developers to
solve real problems for me and other people? things will never be
ideal

from my own POV the only serious argument may be that current
situation limits usability of some programming techniques (CPS?) which
is able to increase programmer's productivity

--
Best regards,
 Bulat                            mailto:Bulat.Ziganshin at gmail.com