[Haskell-cafe] Haskell maximum stack depth

Matthew Pocock matthew.pocock at ncl.ac.uk
Mon Feb 4 15:45:51 EST 2008

On Monday 04 February 2008, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi

> That would be nice. But its only beneficial if there are programs
> which takes large amounts of stack at some point, but then shrink down
> to very little stack and continue for a reasonable amount of time.

From the 'when I was a lad' department...

Thinking back to when Java transitioned to a garbage collector that could give
memory back to the OS, we got some unexpected benefits. Consider a machine
that's running a load of programs, launched from some q system e.g.
LSF/condor. If they keep memory, the box, q scheduler or admins get unhappy.

If I had £1 for each time our admins said "your 200 java apps are using 500m
each!!!!" when I could see for sure that except for an initial memory burn
during loading files in, only a few megs where resident. Magically, once Java
could release heap, these grypes went away.

Matthew