[Haskell-cafe] ANN: bimap 0.1 - a bidirectional map

Stuart Cook scook0 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 05:12:32 EST 2008

On Mon, Feb 4, 2008 at 7:56 PM, Neil Mitchell <ndmitchell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  A few design differences from your one:
>
>  * I called my module BiMap" rather than "Bimap" - I debated this with
>  a collegue, and we settled on the capital M, but it was a very close
>  call.

Mine was also originally BiMap, but I thought the capital M looked a
little ugly, so I changed it.

>  * I have no L/R and Either variants. I decided it was better to be a
>  superset of Data.Map, and then have lookupRev/memberRev functions for
>  the R versions. Do you think anyone is likely to use the Either
>  variant, without a constant Left or Right in the code? Is this an
>  artefact of how its easier to code, rather than to use?

I initially had only the Either variants, because that was easier to
code, and I thought it would make the interface cleaner. Then when I
started writing tests, I realised that this was a pain, and I went
back and added the L/R variants. I never bothered to remove the Either
variants, because the L/R versions are (currently) implemented in
terms of them anyway.

I was thinking of having another module, Data.Bimap.Asymmetric, that
would expose an interface more like that of Data.Map (i.e. biased
towards treating the left type as the key), but I decided it was
better to get the first release out as soon as possible.

Thanks for the feedback,

Stuart