[Haskell-cafe] Circular enums

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery at ece.cmu.edu
Sat Feb 2 18:47:17 EST 2008

On Feb 2, 2008, at 18:41 , Ben Butler-Cole wrote:

>     No instance for (Bounded a)
>       arising from use of `maxBound' at Hbot.hs:6:34-41
> (...)
> My (clearly flawed) understanding of the signature I've specified
> for 'turn' means *exactly* that a is Bounded.

The problem is that the scope of a is the type signature; it does
*not* extend to the definition.

You can try omitting the type on maxBound and minBound, or you can
enable the scoped type variables extension ( http://www.haskell.org/
ghc/docs/latest/html/users_guide/other-type-extensions.html#scoped-
type-variables ).

system administrator [openafs,heimdal,too many hats] allbery at ece.cmu.edu