[Haskell-cafe] parsec3 pre-release [attempt 2]

Derek Elkins derek.a.elkins at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 00:15:42 EST 2008

[Now with 100% more correct darcs get URLs.]

I'm currently getting Paolo Martini's Google Summer of Code project, an
updated version of Parsec, into a releasable state, and I will be
maintaining it for at least a while.

Paolo's major additions are:
    * The Parser monad has been generalized into a Parser monad
      transformer
    * The parsers have been generalized to work over a stream of any
      type, in particular, with bytestrings.

I have made a few minor additions as well:
    * There is Haddock documentation for almost all functions
    * The Parser monad now has Applicative/Alternative instances

Currently, I am looking for people to give it a go reporting any bugs in
the library or documentation, troubles building it, or changes/features
they would like.  I'm also interested in performance information.

Most old Parsec code should be relatively easy but not trivial to port.
There is a darcs repository on code.haskell.org.  If nothing comes up,
I'll put a package on Hackage in about a week or so.

To get the code:
darcs get http://code.haskell.org/parsec3

To build it, the standard cabal commands should work:
http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Cabal/How_to_install_a_Cabal_package

Alternatively, you can use the cabal-install application:
http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/hackage/wiki/CabalInstall

The documentation can be generated also via the normal cabal routine, or
via cabal-install.

The Text.Parsec modules should be preferred to the
Text.ParserCombinators.Parsec modules.