[Haskell-cafe] Who started 42, and when?

Christopher L Conway cconway at cs.nyu.edu
Fri Feb 1 09:18:50 EST 2008

Loup,

This is not unique to the Haskell community. I suspect the arbitrary
constant 42 has been appearing unexplained in research papers for as
long as there have been computer scientists who were sci-fi geeks
(absolutely no offense intended to geeks ;-). It would be very
difficult indeed to figure out who did this first, without some highly
dedicated library research.

Chris