[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] hsc2hs can't find gcc under windows

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Dec 30 09:54:28 EST 2008

On Tue, 2008-12-30 at 13:32 +0900, Curt Sampson wrote:
> Duncan,
>
> Good to talk to you again. You may remember me from ICFP.

Indeed. :-)

> Anyway, thanks for the hint; I can probably make a workaround by adding
> the appropriate options for hsc2hs to the QAM build system. If you
> happen to know what those options are, or just where in the source you
> generate them, that would be a helpful pointer.

Run with -v to see all the options that cabal passes to hsc2hs. The most
important ones are:

It tells hsc2hs where gcc lives. Additionally on Windows ghc's bundled
copy of gcc needs a -B flag to tell gcc where it is installed (and thus
where the default include and linker dirs are).

It passes -I for all the include dirs of all the packages you're using.
Most significantly it does that for the rts and base packages. The rts
include dir contains the HsFFI.h header which is essential for hsc2hs
because the default hsc2hs template #includes it.

> But I'd still very much like to have qam just calling Cabal with
> appropriate options to build Haskell and related code. The issues, as I
> recall, were:

I'll get back to you about this in January.

> 1. Verbosity and repeitiveness of .cabal specification files. This is
> actually not such a big deal, as I can have qam generate these from a
> smaller specification that knows about qam's standard places to put
> things.

A big thing here will be when the 'Simple' build system allows the
multiple components in a package to list dependencies on each other, eg
an executable that build-depends on the library in the same package.

> 2. Ability for each developer on a machine to install his own separate
> copy (or multiple copies) of an entire application system, including
> libraries, packages, and so on. I think with your --prefix and
> --package-db options, this will work now, right?

I think so.

> I can have two different developers using two different prefixes,
> sharing a ghc and the base packages from /usr/local, but using their
> own, say, libgtk+ and haskell interface to it
> in /home/joe/project/release or whatever?

If you can install Gtk+ per-user then the Haskell bits are easy. The
default for cabal-install is per-user installation.

> 3. Fairly heavily customized file locations. Last we talked, this was
> the major sticking point. Just to review, in QAM, we have a directory
> for source and data for some fairly stand-alone library or chunk of
> the project ("project/src/componentname", with src underneath that), a
> directory for build intermediate files (subdirs under "build") and a
> directory in which the entire release is installed ("release", with the
> usual bin, lib, share, etc. directories under it).
>
> (A detailed introduction to this is available here, by the way:
> http://www.starling-software.com/en/qam-principles.html
>
> One tricky thing was that we have, for those components that wish it, a
> single directory in which we build all of the (non-main) object files,
> and wrappers for runhaskell, ghci, and the like that use the built
> sources here. This gives us an almost lisp-machine like environment for
> wandering about the various parts of our system, recompiling only the
> bits that are needed, experimenting interactively with whatever part
> we like, including into the deep depths of libraries, and so on, while
> still running very quickly. Unfortunately, there was some issue with
> lack of ability to specify where the object and .hs files go, if I
> recall. Is tehre any progress on this front?

We can specify a directory where the build files go. So the location is
configurable but the layout of dirs/files under that location is not
under the user's control.

> Another trick was not to export our _unitTest function (exporting it
> causes no end of hassles, as it turned out, when I was first setting up
> the unit test framework), instead runnning the tests with runhaskell; by
> using the same mechanism as above, we could interpret the file with the
> tests themselves, but use compiled versions of everything else, which
> saved a lot of time.
>
> A last issue was dealing with modules that have a main function but are
> also used as libraries by other modules (built without specifying a main)
> function, or was it just the lack of ability to use the -main-is option
> at all? I can't recall.

We still cannot use the ghc -main-is option. I think the general
consensus was that it's not portable and the portable workaround is
pretty straightforward.

> Anyway, any thoughts on these fronts? I suppose the common thread
> here is that I use modules for several different purposes (production
> release, playing with in the interpreter, as or as not the entry point
> of a program, running unit tests) and I'd like to avoid compiling
> different versions of each module or, even worse, different versions of
> all modules for every single use of one particular module.

One approach is sharing. Making something an explicit library and having
other bits depend on that.

> BTW, I'd also be happy to look at changing QAM to try to come a bit
> closer to the "Cabal way of doing things," if I can be convinced that
> they're better. But it could well be that, though they're better
> for building stand-alone haskell programs, they don't have to deal
> with a lot of the stuff that qam does (loading database and starting
> servers for full-system functional tests, dealing with having several
> different versions of PHP and apache on a system, generating appropriate
> configuration files for those sorts of situations, etc.) and it's not
> even worth thinking attempting that. (Having built this system over the
> last four years or so, I can attest that dealing with this stuff is not
> as trivial as one would hope.)

There are plenty of improvements we could and should make to Cabal to
make it a better build system (as opposed to a distribution system which
it is passably ok at the moment). It's a matter of thought and
development time.

Let's discuss this further in the new year.

Duncan