[Haskell-cafe] reactive? was Re: Incremental trasnformations (not Haskell topic)

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Mon Dec 29 01:28:24 EST 2008

2008/12/28 Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH <allbery at ece.cmu.edu>

> On 2008 Dec 28, at 17:22, frantisek kocun wrote:
>
> "We present techniques for incremental computing by introducing adaptive
> functional programming.
> As an adaptive program executes, the underlying system represents the data
> and control
> dependences in the execution in the form of a dynamic dependence graph.
> When the input to the
> program changes, a change propagation algorithm updates the output and the
> dynamic dependence
> graph by propagating changes through the graph and re-executing code where
> necessary. Adaptive
> programs adapt their output to any change in the input, small or large."
>

> I find myself thinking this sounds like a reactive programming technique.
>  Am I being obvious (or oblivious :) or is there something to look at here
> for reactive UIs?

Adaptive programming is sortof the opposite of reactive programming, the way
I see it.  Adaptive is *imperative* (that's the best word I have for it),
i.e. you have a bunch of variables and your code decides which one to
change.  Whereas reactive programming, at the very heart (i.e. I would
expect every reactive semantics to obey this), is declarative.  That is, the
way something behaves depends only on where it was defined, and not at all
on how it is used.

Luke