[Haskell-cafe] Missing Network Functions

John Van Enk vanenkj at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 18:43:21 EST 2008

While working on a project, I discovered that hton[sl] and ntoh[sl] are
missing from the networking libraries. It appears there was some
justification for this, but I've fallen upon a few instances where things
were *not* working as expected. (Specifically when newtype'ing around
HostAddress.)

As such, I'm putting together a few extra functions that I think should
exist in Network somewhere. I'm calling the package Network.Util (but am
open to changes).

Currently this only has:

   - htons
   - htonl
   - ntohs
   - ntohl

Before I drop this on hackage:

   1. Is there a reason I shouldn't do this?
   2. Are there other suggestions for missing functions? (preferably
   cross-platform suggestions)

Thanks all.

/jve