[Haskell-cafe] A hell of a question

Andrzej Jaworski himself at poczta.nom.pl
Mon Dec 22 09:32:59 EST 2008

Hi Luke,
When neurosurgeons split the brain into left and right hemisphere cutting it along corpus callosum
the patient will talk to you with his left
half and right half independently - each time unaware what his other half was talking about a moment
earlier. I believe Zen emulates such
split on a microscopic scale. We all go thru similar state when we conceive an original idea - if we
do not write this down or formulate it
immediately the discovery will loose its punch and sense of depth. The best documented and most
prominent example is Hegel's discovery of
dialectical logic - after extensive writing about that at some point he honestly admits loosing the
original concept. But if not for his
western oververbosity we might not today use the term 'naive' set theory. Every serious mathematician
touching foundations is today perfectly
aware of the price we pay for formulating things. But I am unaware of any virtue of trying to clap
with one hand;-)

Regards,
-Andrzej