[Haskell-cafe] "Rewrite thunk action" rule?

Luke Palmer lrpalmer at gmail.com
Sun Dec 21 04:56:06 EST 2008

2008/12/21 Peter Todd <pete at petertodd.org>

> If I could somehow arrange for the transform function to detect when it
> is being applied to a unevaluated thunk, and then modify the thunk in
> place, that would basically be the behavior I need. Any suggestions?

That is exactly what is already happening.  Perhaps you want what you think
is happening: if a value *is* evaluated, you want to apply the
transformation right then instead of making a thunk.

By the way, this is very operational thinking for Haskell.  Haskell tries
quite hard to abstract away operational thinking, so thinking on this level
will be difficult and more work than you should be doing to write a program.

May I ask why you want this behavior?  Have you just tested it and observed
that it is running too slowly and you are trying to speed it up?

Luke