[Haskell-cafe] Logos of Other Languages

Niklas Broberg niklas.broberg at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 11:18:23 EST 2008

> All of these get one thing right that the current and most of the proposed
> Haskell logos do not: they don't make any reference to the syntax of the
> language itself. Doing so seems to miss the point of a logo: it's supposed
> to appeal visually, rather than semantically. So I'd like to see some
> submissions that don't use lambdas.

Interesting how perceptions can vary. Of all the logos you linked to,
only the Python logo is anywhere near visually appealing to me, and
even that seems a bit much. Less is more (which incidentally is a
concept that also relates very well to Haskell's powerful abstraction
mechanisms), and that is doubly so in a logo. I want a logo that could
be adapted to be used in a lot of different situations, from t-shirts
to favicons to mascots, sometimes even with slightly different
connotations and references. I want a logo that I could draw fairly
accurately on a piece of paper in 10 seconds. And as such, I vastly
prefer many of those suggested on the wiki to all those you've
presented here. I think all of those shown here get all the things
I've mentioned wrong.

And the fact that others do it this way isn't really an argument
either. Since when has Haskell ever does something just because
everyone else does it that way? :-)

Cheers,

/Niklas