[Haskell-cafe] Re: [reactive] problem with unamb -- doesn't kill enough threads

Peter Verswyvelen bugfact at gmail.com
Sat Dec 20 06:00:20 EST 2008

I see. Of course, how silly of me, killThread is asynchronous, it only waits
until the exception is raised in the receiving thread, but it does not wait
until the thread is really killed. The documentation does not seem to
mention this explicitly.

Now, what would be the clean way to make sure all threads are indeed killed
before the process quits? I tried to add another MVar that gets set after
the thread handles uncatched exceptions (so something like bracket (forkIO
a) (putMVar quit ()) return) and the code that calls killThread then does
takeMVar quit, but this did not solve the  problem.

A yield didn't do it for me on Windows, I had a to put in a  rather large
threadDelay of 1/10th of a second...

On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 6:25 AM, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:

> Oh -- I think the problem here was simply that the process itself exited
> before all of the threads had a chance to get killed.  When I add a short
> sleep to the end of main, or even just a 'yield', I see that all threads
> reported as killed.  What clued me in was finally paying attention to the
> observation that under ghci I get the new prompt *before* some of the kill
> reports.
>
>   - Conal
>

> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 11:17 AM, Conal Elliott <conal at conal.net> wrote:
>
>> Peter,
>>
>> Thanks for digging.  In your results below, I see only three out of four
>> threads killed even in the best case.  Each time, there is no report of the
>> 'sleep 2' thread being killed.
>>
>> When I run your code on Linux (Ubuntu 8.10), everything looks great when
>> run under ghci.  If compiled, with and without -threaded and with and
>> without +RTS -N2, I sometimes get four kill messages and sometimes fewer.
>> In the latter case, I don't know if the other threads aren't getting killed
>> or if they're killed but not reported.
>>
>> For example (removing messages other than "Killed"):
>>
>>     conal at compy-doble:~/Haskell/Misc$ rm Threads.o ; ghc Threads.hs
>> -threaded -o Threads && ./Threads +RTS -N2
>>     Killed ThreadId 5
>>     Killed ThreadId 4
>>
>>     conal at compy-doble:~/Haskell/Misc$ ./Threads +RTS -N2
>>     Killed ThreadId 5
>>     Killed ThreadId 4
>>     Killed ThreadId 7
>>     Killed ThreadId 6
>>
>>     conal at compy-doble:~/Haskell/Misc$ ./Threads +RTS -N2
>>     Killed ThreadId 5
>>     Killed ThreadId 7
>>     Killed ThreadId 4
>>     Killed ThreadId 6
>>
>>     conal at compy-doble:~/Haskell/Misc$ ./Threads +RTS -N2
>>     Killed ThreadId 5
>>     Killed ThreadId 4
>>
>>     conal at compy-doble:~/Haskell/Misc$
>>
>> Simon -- does this behavior look like a GHC bug to you?
>>
>>    - Conal
>>

>> On Fri, Dec 19, 2008 at 9:45 AM, Peter Verswyvelen <bugfact at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I played a bit the the bracket function that timeout uses, but got
>>> strange results (both on Windows and OSX).
>>>
>>> Ugly code fragment follows:

>>> import Prelude hiding (catch)
>>>
>>> import Control.Concurrent
>>> import Control.Concurrent.MVar