[Haskell-cafe] Re: Logos of Other Languages

mail at justinbogner.com mail at justinbogner.com
Sat Dec 20 01:30:26 EST 2008

Ashley Yakeley <ashley at semantic.org> writes:
> All of these get one thing right that the current and most of the
> proposed Haskell logos do not: they don't make any reference to the
> syntax of the language itself. Doing so seems to miss the point of a
> logo: it's supposed to appeal visually, rather than semantically. So
> I'd like to see some submissions that don't use lambdas.

All of these, in fact, make absolutely no reference to any part of the
language itself, other than the title. Should we then use a portrait of
Haskell Curry as the logo? I have no problem with a logo that doesn't
have a lambda, but I don't think the fact that using a lambda is
(almost) putting syntax in a logo should be considered a problem.

An homage to syntax at least gives an easily recognizable icon, far more
iconic than a camel or a grid of colours, and I would consider several
of the lambda based ideas on the wiki simple, elegant and visually
appealing.