[Haskell-cafe] Re: Time for a new logo?

wren ng thornton wren at freegeek.org
Wed Dec 17 21:07:28 EST 2008

Jeff Wheeler wrote:

> On Dec 16, 2008, at 10:08 PM, Ryan Grant wrote:
>
>> nice.
>> the first is better.
>> in the second, i don't even see the lambda.
>
> Thanks the feedback. I just uploaded a new version [1] that is
> icon-sized, although the font used is Helvetica Neue, which is non-free.
> I have no free fonts on my Mac, unfortunately, so it'll stay for the
> moment.
>
> Jeff Wheeler
>
> [1] http://media.nokrev.com/junk/haskell-logos/logo4.png

Another thought would be to have the lower *left* leg of the lambda set
off by a different color. Hence something like >,\=  Done properly I
could see it making the lambda vs. monad alternation more natural.

Another suggestion is that the lambda highlighted version (logo1.png)
seems a bit top-heavy for the lambda. Moving the centerline up a bit in
order to widen the base of the lambda should help that, as well as
reducing the militaristic aspect.

Of all the versions I've seen, I'd really like some incarnation of this
idea to be the new logo. The >\=Haskell one works really well for the
named-logo effect, and the simplicity of the five strokes really lets
the logo stand on its own as well. It's been a long time since I've done
graphic design, so all my tools have rusted. But I could see if some old
friends would be interested in taking a whack at it.

--
Live well,
~wren