[Haskell-cafe] Time for a new logo?

Andrei Formiga andrei.formiga at gmail.com
Wed Dec 17 17:52:53 EST 2008

On Wed, Dec 17, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Andrew Coppin
<andrewcoppin at btinternet.com> wrote:

>> (Also, "coroutines"? Seriously? That's hardly an obscure term in
>> programming circles.)
>>

> Well now, I'm curios. I've been writing computer programs since I was 9
> years old. I hold a diploma *and* an honours degree in computer science. And
> I have never even *heard* of a coroutine. To this day I still don't know
> what it means. I rather suspect I'm not the only "programmer" on earth who
> finds themselves in this position. ;-)

I read about coroutines the first time a good number of years ago in
"Programming in Modula-2" by Niklaus Wirth. It's true that they have
fallen out of favor somewhat, but neither the concept nor the name are
exclusive to Haskell. The fact is that programming is a technical
endeavor, and as any other technical field, it needs jargon. Of
course, it's always possible to overuse jargon, but I seriously don't
know why anyone should be afraid of a name like "Existential
Quantification". I understand some people are afraid of such a name,
but it shouldn't be so.

Well, this is getting back to Monads x WarmFuzzyThings...

--
[]s, Andrei Formiga