[Haskell-cafe] Memoization-question

Daniel Fischer daniel.is.fischer at web.de
Thu Dec 11 15:09:46 EST 2008

Am Donnerstag, 11. Dezember 2008 16:18 schrieb Mattias Bengtsson:
> The program below computes (f 27) almost instantly but if i replace the
> definition of (f n) below with (f n = f (n - 1) * f (n -1)) then it
> takes around 12s to terminate. I realize this is because the original
> version caches results and only has to calculate, for example, (f 25)
> once instead of (i guess) four times.
> There is probably a good reason why this isn't caught by the compiler.
> But I'm interested in why. Anyone care to explain?
>
> > main = print (f 27)
> >
> > f 0 = 1
> > f n = let f' = f (n-1)
> >       in f' * f'
>
> (compiled with ghc --make -O2)
>
> Mattias

Not an expert, so I may be wrong.
The way you wrote your function, you made it clear to the compiler that you
want sharing, so it shares.
With

g 0 = 1
g n = g (n-1)*g (n-1)

it doesn't, because the type of g is Num t => t -> t, and you might call it
with whatever weird Num type, for which sharing might be a bad idea (okay,
for this specific function I don't see how I would define a Num type where
sharing would be bad).
If you give g a signature like
g :: Int -> Int,
the compiler knows that sharing is a good idea and does it (cool thing aside:
with
module Main where

f 0 = 1
f n = let a = f (n-1) in a*a

main = do
    print (f 27)
    print (g 30)

g 0 = 1
g n = g (n-1)*g (n-1)

main still runs instantaneously, but g n takes exponential time at the ghci
prompt. That's because in main the argument of g is defaulted to Integer, so
it's shared.)