[Haskell-cafe] Origins of '$'

Hans Aberg haberg at math.su.se
Tue Dec 9 16:38:24 EST 2008

On 8 Dec 2008, at 23:15, Joachim Breitner wrote:

> Am Montag, den 08.12.2008, 15:59 -0600 schrieb Nathan Bloomfield:
>
>> Slightly off topic, but the A^B notation for hom-sets also makes the
>> natural isomorphism we call currying expressable as A^(BxC) = (A^B)
>> ^C.
>
> So A^(B+C) = A^B × A^C ?
>
> Oh, right, I guess that’s actually true:...

I posted some of those relations for lambda-calculus two days ago
(this thread).

It is so very off-topic, because one can reverse the process, take
those operators and some relations, and show it contains the lambda-
calculus (or so I remember, don't recall details). Then one problem
is that these operators are not so intuitive for all practical purposes.

   Hans