[Haskell-cafe] Is unsafePerformIO safe here?

John Ky newhoggy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 22:02:07 EST 2008

Inline.

On Mon, Dec 8, 2008 at 1:28 PM, Luke Palmer <lrpalmer at gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/12/7 John Ky <newhoggy at gmail.com>
>
>> Does that mean there is no place to store state while running the
>> interpreter and that I have to put the state elsewhere such as a file?  I
>> was hoping to avoid that as I'm only prototyping at this stage and don't
>> want to write a persistent layer just yet.
>

> Bob is right, that technically it is unsafe.  However, in GHC (I can't
> speak for the others) you can make it safe by forcing it not to inline.
>  Then, IIRC, you are guaranteed (only in GHC, not in Haskell) that it will
> be only created once:
>
> moo :: TVar Int
> {-# NOINLINE moo #-}
> moo = unsafePerformIO $ newTVarIO 1

Will keep that in mind.

> Correct, you cannot have global state in safe Haskell.  Make of that what
> you will, YMMV, personally I like it (it has positive implications in terms
> of semantics and reasoning).  You have to put state elsewhere, but "such as
> a file" is a little extreme.  Make it at the GHCi prompt (if there is more
> than a teeny bit of initialization, I usually define a helper function to
> make this as easy as possible).

You mean like this?

Prelude> x <- GHC.Conc.atomically (GHC.Conc.newTVar 1)
Prelude> GHC.Conc.atomically $ GHC.Conc.readTVar x
1

I could live with that.

Then pass it around or put your computation in a ReaderT (same thing).
>  You're going to be passing it around when you write your real application
> anyway, right?

Will need to read up on ReaderT.  Thanks for the tip.

Also, as your application matures, you know your persistence layer is
> probably already done for you in Data.Binary :-)

Awesome.

 Thanks

-John