[Haskell-cafe] how to pipe in pure input with HSH? (Would be helpful for sending emails via sendmail/mailx via HSH interface)

Thomas Hartman tphyahoo at gmail.com
Sun Dec 7 07:54:00 EST 2008

{-
I am trying to figure out a way to send email using HSH and I'm stumped.

The problem is that there is no ShellCommand instance for a pure
vanilla string, which can be piped into another ShellCommand. There is
a ShellCommand String instance, but the string is a command to be
executed.

I defined PureInput wrapper around String in an attempt to get this
working, but I'm stumped defining
an fdInvoke method for it.

class (Show a) => ShellCommand a where
  fdInvoke ::
    -> System.Posix.Types.Fd
    -> System.Posix.Types.Fd
    -> [System.Posix.Types.Fd]
    -> IO ()
    -> IO [InvokeResult]

Can someone help out? Below is a stub.

Thomas.
-}

import HSH

newtype PureInput = PureInput { unpureinput :: String }
  deriving (Read,Show)

-- This works fine, blah blah blah gets outputted
demo1 = runIO $ ( ( ( ("echo blah blah blah") :: String) -|- ( "cat"
:: String) ) :: PipeCommand String String )

-- This is what I want. Specify a pure input string, to be piped into
another command.
-- In this example it's cat, which isn't very usefuol.
-- This would be useful, however, for sending email via sendmail or
mailx, with variable input piped in.
-- The result should be that "blah blah blah" is printed from cat,
just as in demo1.
demo2 = runIO $ (PureInput "blah blah blah") -|- ( "cat" :: String)

-- How can/should this be done?
instance ShellCommand PureInput where
    fdInvoke (PureInput justAString) ifd ofd closefd forkfunc = undefined