[Haskell-cafe] gmp license == no commercial/closed source haskell software ??

Jonathan Cast jonathanccast at fastmail.fm
Wed Dec 3 09:45:09 EST 2008

On Wed, 2008-12-03 at 15:36 +0100, Lionel Barret De Nazaris wrote:
> I've just discovered the GMP license problem. (see
> http://hackage.haskell.org/trac/ghc/wiki/ReplacingGMPNotes)
>
>  From my understanding, the gmp is GPL, GHC statically links it on
> windows.

Lesser GPL: http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/lesser.html

It doesn't actually have a section 2(c) as per the wiki.  Section 4(d)0
of the LGPL is traditionally taken to allow static linking, as long as
you distribute

a) The source of the version of GMP you use (corresponding source), and
b) Object files/libraries for your program + the GHC RTS suitable for
static linking with your user's (possibly modified) builds of the
distributed GMP source.

jcc