[Haskell-cafe] Data.ByteString vs Data.ByteString.Lazy vs Data.ByteString.Char8

Ketil Malde ketil at malde.org
Wed Dec 3 02:32:13 EST 2008

"Galchin, Vasili" <vigalchin at gmail.com> writes:

> I think I am getting a namespace collition between
>       Data.ByteString.Lazy.Char8.ByteString
> and
>      Data.ByteString.Lazy.Internal.ByteString ....

You rarely need to import 'Internal' directly.

> here is the error message ....
>     Couldn't match expected type `B.ByteString'
>            against inferred type
> `bytestring-'

Are you sure this is not just a versioning problem?  I.e. that some
library is built against bytestring-0.X.Y, but your current import is
bytestring-0.A.B, but your program expects these to be the same?  (And
they probably are, but the compiler can't really tell).