[Haskell-cafe] ANN: "Real World Haskell", now shipping

Andrew Coppin andrewcoppin at btinternet.com
Tue Dec 2 14:44:16 EST 2008

John Goerzen wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 01, 2008 at 09:59:24PM +0000, Andrew Coppin wrote:
>

>> OK, now I'm puzzled. I don't remember that! :-}
>>

> OK, I went back and looked at my Git logs and you're right.  Wrong
> Andrew.  Sorry.

LOL! S'OK...

> I would welcome bug reports and, even better, patches for this stuff.
>
> But I was pretty sure that HDBC and HDBC-ODBC in particular are
> working on Windows.

OK, well how about this then: In a few weeks when I upgrade to GHC
6.10.1, I'll tell you whether it builds there. ;-)

For the record, which package is the "correct" one to use? Hackage seems
to have a bazillion different database packages, and I have literally no
idea which ones are the currently maintained ones...

Regardless, it has been my general experience that almost everything
obtained from Hackage fails miserably to compile under Windows. (IIRC,
one package even used a Bash script as part of the build process!) I
haven't seen similar problems on Linux. (But I don't use Linux very
often.) About the worst problem there was Gtk2hs being confused about
some Autoconfig stuff or something...