[Haskell-cafe] Re: problem with cabal for syb-with-class

Duncan Coutts duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk
Tue Aug 26 10:09:48 EDT 2008

On Tue, 2008-08-26 at 14:30 +0100, Dougal Stanton wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 2:22 PM, Duncan Coutts
> <duncan.coutts at worc.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
>
> > So when ghc finds that one of your modules needs to import something
> > that is not in one of the given packages it says that it's in another
> > package that is 'hidden'. Of course it's only hidden because Cabal told
> > ghc to hide them.
>
> Yes, it is one of those unfortunate error messages that says "I know
> what the problem is *and* how to fix it, but I'm not going to". ;-)

Actually it's more like: "I know what the problem is but I cannot fix
it. He knows how to fix it, but doesn't know there's a problem!" :-)

GHC knows what the problem is but it's just following orders. Cabal gave
the orders but doesn't know there is a problem.

That's why it'll be fixed when Cabal does the dep chasing rather than
delegating that to ghc --make. Cabal will then be able to either just
pull in the (probably) right packages, or report the problem using the
language of the problem domain and not the implementation.

Duncan