[Haskell-cafe] Lines of code metrics

Dimitry Golubovsky golubovsky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 21 15:00:11 EDT 2008

Greg Fitzgerald wrote:

>Does anyone know of a good case study comparing a project written in C
>versus one written in Haskell?  I'm mostly looking for a comparison of lines
>of code, but any other metric, such as time to market and code quality
>metrics could also be

Just curious, has anybody tried to apply Halstead's code metrics (see
e. g. http://www.sei.cmu.edu/str/descriptions/halstead_body.html), but
there is a 70s' book titled "Elements of Software Science" to Haskell
and other functional languages vs. C and other imperative languages?

I myself played with these calculations in late 80s trying to estimate
code quality of Pascal programs on PDP-11, but that was a pain to
count functions' operands properly as they might come from global
variables. Application of these formulas to functional languages might
be mich cleaner, so has anybody tried?

Dimitry Golubovsky

Anywhere on the Web