[Haskell-cafe] looking for examples of non-full Functional Dependencies

Martin Sulzmann martin.sulzmann at gmail.com
Fri Apr 18 14:04:30 EDT 2008

Thanks Iavor! Things become now clear.

Let's consider our running example

class D a b | a -> b
instance D a b => D [a] [b]

which we can write in CHR notation

D a b, D a c ==> b=c    (FD)

D [a] [b] <=> D a b       (Inst)

These rules overlap.

Let's consider the critical pair

D [a] [b], D [a] c

The following two derivations are possible

                D [a] [b], D [a] c
   -->FD   D [a] [b], c = [b]
   -->Inst   D a b, c = [b]

               D [a] [b], D [a] c
   -->Inst D a b, D [a] c

The two final stores differ which means that the
CHR system is non-confluent. Hence, the
proof theory is (potentially) incomplete.
What does this mean?
Logically true statement may not be derivable
using our CHR/typeclass-FD solver.

Iavor suggests to add the rule

D [a] c, D a b ==> c = [b]    (Imp1)

Makes perfect sense!

This rule is indeed a theorem and makes the system confluent.

But that's not what the FD-CHR paper does.

The FD-CHR paper generates the "stronger" rule

D [a] c ==> c = [b]     (Imp2)

This rule is NOT a theorem (ie logical consequence from the
FD and Inst rule).
But this rule also makes the system confluent.

Why does the FD-CHR paper suggest this rule.
Some reasons:

 - the (Imp2) matches the GHC and I believe also Hugs implementation
 - the (Imp2) is "easier" to implement, we only need to look for
   a single constraint when firing the rule
- (Arguable) The (Imp2) matches better the programmer's intuition.
   We only consider the instance head when generating improvement
   but ignore the instance context.
- (Historical note: The rule suggested by Iavor were discussed
   when writing the FD-CHR paper but somehow we never
   pursued this alternative design space.
   I have to dig out some old notes, maybe there some other reasons,
   infinite completion, why this design space wasn't pursued).

To summarize, I see now where the confusion lies.
The FD-CHR studies a "stronger" form of FDs where the CHR
improvement rules generated guarantee confluence but the
rules are not necessarily logical consequence.
Therefore, the previously discussed property

  a -> b and a -> c iff a -> b c

does of course NOT hold. That is,
the combination of improvement rules derived from a -> b and a -> c
is NOT equivalent to the improvement rules derived from a -> b c.
Logically, the equivalence obviously holds.

Martin