[Haskell-cafe] Re: RFC: A standardized interface between web servers and applications or frameworks (ala WSGI)

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org
Mon Apr 14 12:14:02 EDT 2008

On Mon, Apr 14, 2008 at 4:54 AM, Daniel Yokomizo
<daniel.yokomizo at gmail.com> wrote:
>  Both request and response accept any entity headers and 7.1 (of RFC
>  2616) says that a valid entity header is an extension header, which
>  can be any kind of header.

Is wasn't suggesting that other headers be dropped, just that they
remain as strings.

>  IMHO it would be better to create a two layered approach. The bottom
>  layer handles the request as a bunch of strings, just checks for
>  structural correctness (i.e. break the headers by line and such)
>  without checking if the headers are correct. The top layer provides a
>  bunch of parser combinators to validate, parse and sanitize the
>  request so a library can create its own contract:

Ok, I think I'm convinced by this argument. I'd hope that a standard
set of header parsers be defined, and that an application which only
cares about 2616 headers can do call a single function to parse them
all, but I no longer advocate that the base interface use parsed forms
of headers.

Also, parsing URLs seems to be pretty uncontroversial (maybe parsing
key, value pairs from the path, maybe not)

Adam Langley agl at imperialviolet.org http://www.imperialviolet.org