[Haskell-cafe] deriving

Richard A. O'Keefe ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Apr 8 21:49:14 EDT 2008

On 8 Apr 2008, at 7:15 am, Dan Weston wrote:
> [1] Yes, I know that "conciseness" is the much more common and
> accepted word for this, but if we can say "precision", "decision",
> and "incision", then it seems foolish to not also use "concision". I
> will henceforth take on this quixotic quest to promote the use of
> "concision".

Please don't.  There is already an English word "concision" that means
something quite different.  To quote the OED:
"The action of cutting to pieces or cutting away; mutilation."

To be honest, sense 3 in the OED is exactly what you want, but why take
the risk of confusing people?  And if you really don't like
what's wrong with "brevity"?