[Haskell-cafe] Postdoctoral Fellowship in Functional Programming

Christopher Milton cmiltonperl at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 27 19:17:44 EDT 2007

--- Iain Lane <haskell at orangesquash.org.uk> wrote:
> Bryan Burgers wrote:
> > On 9/26/07, Graham Hutton <gmh at cs.nott.ac.uk> wrote:
> >
> >> Salary  will be  within the  range 25,134  - 32,796  pounds  per year,
> >> depending  on qualifications  and experience.   The post  is available
> >> immediately, and will be offered on a fixed-term contract for 3 years.
> >
> > I don't mean to diminish the seriousness of your message, but why is
> > the salary range so exact? Couldn't you have just rounded the upper
> > bound to 32,768 for the sake of readability?
> I would imagine that they come from the University's salary scales[1].
> As for why the salaries on there are so exact, that's anyone's guess.
> [1] http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/hr/scales/r-t010807%2B.pdf

I used to work for a county goverment in the USA
where I started at $8.886 per hour and left at
$12.998 per hour. Even multiplying by 2080 hours
per annum resulted in decimal places. It was
probably part of the percentage increases we
received each year: somehow it made the infaamous
bean counters happy...