[Haskell-cafe] Desugaring of infix operators is (always?) the wrong way round

ok ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Wed Sep 26 23:53:55 EDT 2007

On 26 Sep 2007, at 8:32 am, Brian Hulley wrote:
> Aha! but this is using section syntax which is yet another
> complication. Hypothesis: section syntax would not be needed if the
> desugaring order was reversed.

Binary operators have two arguments.  That's why sections are needed.

This is one of the reasons why the combination of
   - sections
   - ordinary names as `operators`
is so nice.  Given a function f :: X -> Y -> Z.
Currying means that we have (f x) :: Y -> Z.
With sections, we also have (`f`y) :: X -> Z.

It doesn't matter *which* argument you put first,
people will sometimes need to partially apply to one of them,
and sometimes to the other.

My old ML library includes

     fun ap1 f x = fn y => f (x,y)   (* == (x `f`) *)
     fun ap2 f y = fn x => f (x,y)   (* == (`f` y) *)

Both are needed because the SML convention for operators passes a tuple.
The point is that BOTH are needed.

I am a bear of very little brain, and I would find it VERY confusing
if the order of arguments in an operator application did not match
the order of arguments in a function call.  I can live with
	x @ y = (op @)(x, y)		(* SML *)
	x @ y = (@) x y			-- Haskell
but making the orders different would guarantee that I would *always*
be in a muddle about which argument was which.  Living with
inconvenient argument orders is vastly easier than with inconsistent
ones.