[Haskell-cafe] Desugaring of infix operators is (always?) the wrong way round

Henning Thielemann lemming at henning-thielemann.de
Wed Sep 26 05:40:42 EDT 2007

On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Brian Hulley wrote:

> Of course the problem disappears if you just discard multiple clause syntax
> and use:
>
>  (list :: a List) (f :: a -> b) map :: b List =
>       case list of
>           Empty -> Empty
>           h t PushF -> (h f) (t f map) PushF

This would also have the advantage, that there is a name assigned to each
parameter, which is nice for documentation purposes. However we would also
have to assign a name to the parameter of 'f', and the (->) type
constructor becomes somehow special, at least more special than it is now.

Curried functions like

f :: a -> b -> c

suggest a swapped order of arguments for (->), since 'f' must be called
this way

b a f

Maybe it should be

f :: c <- b <- a