[Haskell-cafe] C's fmod in Haskell

ok ok at cs.otago.ac.nz
Tue Sep 25 18:53:30 EDT 2007

[Concerning the fact that fmod(x,y) = -fmod(-x,y)]

On 25 Sep 2007, at 8:58 pm, Henning Thielemann wrote:
> Why is this particular behaviour useful in connection with
> trigonometric functions?

Range reduction.
sin(x) = sin(fmod(x, M_TWOPI)).

Whether that is the *best* way to handle range reduction is another
matter.  (Amongst other things, there are modern algorithms that get
a result as if the range reduction had been done with an infinitely
precise pi.  I have no idea how they do that.)