[Haskell-cafe] Pierce on type theory and category theory

Creighton Hogg wchogg at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:18:40 EDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Philippa Cowderoy <flippa at flippac.org> wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Sep 2007, Seth Gordon wrote:
>
> > Are Benjamin C. Pierce's _Types and Programming Languages_ and/or _Basic
> > Category Theory for Computer Scientists_ suitable for self-study?
> >

> Basic Category Theory depends on your mindset somewhat. TaPL is great
> though, and frequently recommended. The follow-up is also good.

Basic Category Theory is cute, but I think the exercises are sometimes
phrased strangely.  In some ways, the book makes more sense if you've
already seen these ideas once & are trying to get a more CS perspective of
the math.  I'll probably be alone in this, but I think Mac Lane is a
fantastic book for learning category theory.  It's hard, but if you trudge
along and do the exercises you learn quite a bit.  It's fun!