[Haskell-cafe] Pierce on type theory and category theory

Tim Chevalier catamorphism at gmail.com
Tue Sep 25 17:02:28 EDT 2007

On 9/25/07, Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com> wrote:
> Are Benjamin C. Pierce's _Types and Programming Languages_ and/or _Basic
> Category Theory for Computer Scientists_ suitable for self-study?
>
> (Do they have problem sets that can be checked by either looking up
> answers in The Back of the Book, or by trying to compile/run some code
> that the student writes?)

Graduate-level textbooks don't have answers in the back of the book,
as a rule. In TAPL, some of the questions involve writing code, but
others don't. If you're approaching this book, you ought to be at a
point where you can check your own sanity. Better yet, find a study
partner to discuss the problems with!

I haven't gotten past the "watch it collect dust while sitting on my
coffee table" point with the category theory book, but I can tell you
that none of the problems in that one involve writing code.

Cheers,
Tim

--
Tim Chevalier * catamorphism.org * Often in error, never in doubt
"Ninety-nine percent of everything that is done in the world, good and