[Haskell-cafe] RE: simple function: stack overflow in hugs vsnonein ghc

john lask jvlask at hotmail.com
Mon Sep 24 18:14:45 EDT 2007

nope.

it is true that in the case of an infinite list it exibits the "desired"
behaviour but ...

return (replicate 1000000 'a') >>= \x->print $ spant (const True) x

ERROR - Garbage collection fails to reclaim sufficient space

i.e. as the function unfold, the thunk representing the second term builds
up on the heap. (not sure why it works for an infinite list, hugs must drop
the reference to the tail ?)

to obtain a function that will properly operate in constant space, for every
unfolding of the first term we need to enforce evaluation of the second
term.