[Haskell-cafe] bindings to the xmms_remote API, GList and something more

Andrea Rossato mailing_list at istitutocolli.org
Fri Sep 21 11:32:19 EDT 2007

On Fri, Sep 21, 2007 at 09:08:13AM +0200, Andrea Rossato wrote:
> To make a short story long, I needed some client for the Audacious
> media player, something I could use to remote control it and, since
> I'm addicted to Haskell, instead of surfing the web to find a suitable
> client I surfed the web to find the API documentation. With the FFI,
> in a matter of half an hour I had the client with all the commands I
> needed.

[...]
> So far so good, but, since everything was so easy, I thought: "Why not
> packaging a library (and the client) for Hackage? Maybe others may be
> willing to use it, maybe..."

Not only I found out that Audacious comes with a command line client
named audtool, not even mentioned on their web site, but also that the
API I was writing a binding for is deprecated.

Forgetting to document such changes and publishing on your project's
web site misleading information is harmful to others, as this example
shows.

I learned quite a lot today, and not only about FFI.

Sorry for the noise.

Andrea