[Haskell-cafe] GHC 6.7 on Windows / containers-0.1 package?

Stefan O'Rear stefanor at cox.net
Wed Sep 19 17:32:54 EDT 2007

On Wed, Sep 19, 2007 at 10:24:24PM +0100, Neil Mitchell wrote:
> Hi Peter,
>
> >  So I grabbed ghc-6.7.20070824 (=the latest one for Windows I could find)
> > and the "extra-libs", compiled and installed the GLUT package (which I
> > needed), but when I compile my library, I get
> >
> >      Could not find module `Data.Map':
> >        it is a member of package containers-0.1, which is hidden
>
> All dependencies etc. have changed when going to 6.7/6.8 - you are
> probably better off using 6.6.1 for now.
>
> I also don't think that the debugger will help you track down infinite
> loop style errors. You might be better off posting the code and asking
> for help.

You said 0% CPU.  That's *very* important.  It means that you are using
the threaded runtime (GHCi?), and that you triggered a blackhole.  You
should be able to handle this by compiling your program with -prof (do
*not* use -threaded!), and running with +RTS -xc.  With luck, that will
give you a backtrace to the infinite loop.

PS. blackholes are a serious dark corner of GHC's execution model,
chances are better than even that if you try to use the debugger for
this you will discover a new and (for you) crippling bug.  I wouldn't
recommend it.

Stefan