[Haskell-cafe] Re: [Haskell] Swapping parameters and type classes

Andrzej Jaworski himself at poczta.nom.pl
Tue Sep 18 13:42:16 EDT 2007

Salute Simon, hi everybody here!

Ian is scientific in his observations and has a valid point. I share his
objection to the Haskell list as unnecessarily misleading newcomers which, I
would add, sets precedents for others to be verbose. Then, creating a Beginner
list is less fortunate than creating Announcements list for obvious and not so
obvious reasons. There are things in this culture however that make the decision
difficoult. What stands out is that announcements gained in the Haskell list
much wider connotation and by renaming it into this name explicitly might kill
this overinterpretation and thus couple of interesting oservations might not
find its way to an audience. Ian's numbers tell however that this benefits
speakers more than the listeners;-)

Haskell-Cafe though deserves respect on the same scienific ground - the share
volume speeks for it!
I agree with you Simon that the name Cafe created sort of spiritual component to
the community which should not be underestimated. We are humans and even history
of mathematics is a stream of fashion between couple of great discoveries.

Cheers,
-Andrzej