[Haskell-cafe] Building "production stable" software in Haskell

jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr jerzy.karczmarczuk at info.unicaen.fr
Mon Sep 17 15:07:04 EDT 2007

Andrew Coppin writes:

> Adrian Hey wrote:
>> Personally I don't really like the idea of Data.Map, Data.Map.AVL or
>> any other lib becoming entrenched as official or de-facto standards.
>> It seems like a recipe for stagnation to me. IMHO such libs just
>> shouldn't be bundled with ghc (or any other compiler) for this reason.

> Out of curiosity... what's so bad about "stagnation"? (Otherwise known as
> "having a fixed structure that everybody can rely on"...)

Oh come on, you know the answer, do you like provocations?
Shall I remind how many people are unhappy e.g., with the Haskell
Numerical classes hierarchy?... Stagnation is stagnation.

On a less serious tune: this "what's so bad" reasoning was the reason
why some political regimes could not progress and had to be destroyed.
Actually, it is not less serious...

Jerzy Karczmarczuk