[Haskell-cafe] Monad.Reader 8: Haskell, the new C++

Peter Verswyvelen bf3 at telenet.be
Fri Sep 14 15:55:16 EDT 2007

I'm not sure, I don't know LISP in detail, but as far as I know, LISP is
a fully dynamic language.

I actually meant a static language where you build your own strong types
using the language itself. On the micro level, the language only knows
abouts bits and bytes without semantics, just like assembler, no types
at all. But the language allows you to build whatever "type" or
"semantics" you want from scratch, by providing a keyword that forces
certain part of the program to be evaluated at compile time. A bit like
macros, but written in the same language. Although not exactly the same,
the Digital Mars D language has a "static if (p) { q }" statement, where
p must evaluate to a constant expression at compile time, otherwise the
compiler gives an error/warning (I'm not sure, haven't tried it yet).
You can do that in C++ (using templates) and Haskell (using types) but
these are actually mini-sub-languages. Probably giving control to the
programmer of how type-checking should be coded bypasses the advantages
of strong typing, so this is most likely a dumb idea...

Anyway, I should not mention these ideas, I'm just a programmer, not a
computer scientist ;-)

Peter